Flight through/around Clouds
Hovering through clouds
A simple virtual reality thing
If my PowerMac 8500/132 doesn't lie to me, the new Venus flies at 27 frames/sec in a 240x200-pixel window, and at 4 frames/sec in a 1024x768-pixel window (at 8-bit color depth).
- flies in a window which is not only draggable and zoomable but also fully resizable
- has a mouse control (which works in the full-screen mode too)
- can fly through any user-dropped elevation map; the map can be painted in custom colors
- sports an application icon, many thanks to Teddy Schatz (BiadeRunr@aol.com)
- with the complete source and lots of comments and explanations
- shows off a custom (private) event queue, and the flexibility it gives
- No QuickDraw3D, all rendering and graphics is done by the code itself
| ||Mac/PowerMac (CodeWarrior 7-12)|
| ||The current version is 3.5, May 2, 1997.|
The README file [plain text file]|
Application and the source code archive off this site [
contains a PowerMac application, CodeWarrior 11 project, and the source code.
Screen shot of the flight [
And another snapshot [
These are full-screen versions of the thumbnail pictures above - still snapshots taken off the Mac screen during the flight. The pictures correspond to an old Venus, version 1. I can't seem to make up my mind as to which frame of the new flight is the best.
- Grayscale image processing classlib
- Be Venus
- A port of circling around in clouds to a BeBox, a way cool computer. I did it in a few hours during MacHack'96; recompiled for BeOS DR8 at the December 1996 BeDev kitchen (no code modifications turned out to be necessary).
The code takes the full advantage of a multiprocessor architecture of the BeBox: the application runs in 3 threads: one thread for a view from above window, another thread for a view from the cockpit window, and yet another thread for a plane. The plane flies, and sends messages to the two window threads to update their projections/views.
The archive includes the complete source code plus the application. The size of the executable is only 19K!
Note: the mere existence of this port proves that the modeler and the renderer are largely platform-independent. Thus you can use this archive as a POSIX port of the circling around in clouds application. The archive is in the regular
.tar.gz format. It was submitted to BeWare.
: Version 2 of Venus is a flight-around. Here's how it looks like:
(click on the thumbnail to get the full view). And another and yet another screen shot. On a PowerMac 8500/150, the thing flies at a speed of 32-37 frames/sec.
Last updated September 26, 1997
This site's top page is
Your comments, problem reports, questions are very welcome!